Longwoods Top 25 features five authors from the School of Nursing
Jan 23, 2018
Five familiar names appear in the Top 25 articles accessed on the Longwoods Publishing website in 2017.
These are McMaster School of Nursing faculty members and some of them appear more than once in this prestigious list. The faculty members are: Denise Bryant-Lukosius, Nancy Carter, Sharon Kaasalainen, Sheryl Boblin, and retired faculty member Alba DiCenso.
Longwoods publishes healthcare research, reports, reviews, commentaries and news from and for academics, scientists, clinicians, policymakers, administrators and pundits. Their journals include: Healthcare Quarterly, HealthcarePapers, Healthcare Policy, Nursing Leadership, and World Health & Population.
Dr. Denise Bryant-Lukosius, co-author on three of the articles, is the Co Director of the Canadian Centre for Advanced Practice Nursing (APN) Research. She continues to lead the way internationally on advanced practice nursing. ”These articles are from the 2010 CJNL Special Edition on APN in Canada and represent the culmination of 10 years of research led by Dr. Alba DiCenso and the most comprehensive study ever conducted to examine advanced nursing roles in Canada,” says Bryant-Lukosius. “This study engaged national stakeholders using multiple integrated knowledge translation strategies to determine the next steps for APN role development in Canada. As a result, study findings and recommendations reported in these CJNL articles remain highly relevant 7 years later. Drs. Carter, Kaasalainen, and I were fortunate to participate in this research along with advanced practice nurses and faculty from other universities and provinces across Canada. In 2016, I was invited by CJNL to be the editor, along with Dr. Ruth Martin-Misener from Dalhousie University, of the second Special Edition on Advanced Practice Nursing. While much progress has been made, this second edition highlights the continued need for research and knowledge translation to improve health, access to care, and quality of care for Canadians through more effective use of APN roles. Through CCAPNR, McMaster continues to be a leader in conducting research and developing national and international researchers in this field.”
“The Longwoods Top 25 List includes a number of authors who did graduate degrees and fellowships at McMaster, including PhD Graduates Kim Alvarado and Faith Donald, and Post Doctoral Fellow Kelley Kilpatrick,” says Nancy Carter, Assistant Dean, Graduate Nursing Programs. “This speaks to the productivity of our students and the excellent graduate faculty in our program who provide support and opportunities to our graduate students.”
Dr. Michael McGillion is the Assistant Dean, Research, School of Nursing. ““It is fantastic news for the School of Nursing and this list shows how great of an impact some of key our researchers’ work is having, particularly in the field of advanced practice nursing. Congratulations to Drs. Denise Bryant-Lukosius, Nancy Carter, Sharon Kaasalainen, Sheryl Boblin, and retired faculty member Alba DiCenso”, says McGillion.
You can read the articles by clicking on the titles below.
24. Utilization of Nurse Practitioners to Increase Patient Access to Primary Healthcare in Canada – Thinking Outside the Box. Nursing Leadership, 23(Special Issue) December 2010: 239-259.doi:10.12927/cjnl.2010.22281. Alba DiCenso, Ivy Bourgeault, Julia Abelson, Ruth Martin-Misener, Sharon Kaasalainen, Nancy Carter, Patricia Harbman, Faith Donald, Denise Bryant-Lukosius and Kelley Kilpatrick
16. Research: Evidence-based Nursing Practice: How to Get There from Here. Nursing Leadership, 16(4) December 2003: 20-26.doi:10.12927/cjnl.2003.16257. Leadership Perspectives. Alba DiCenso.
12. Clinical Nurse Specialists and Nurse Practitioners: Title Confusion and Lack of Role Clarity. Nursing Leadership, 23(Special Issue) December 2010: 189-210.doi:10.12927/cjnl.2010.22276. Faith Donald, Denise Bryant-Lukosius, Ruth Martin-Misener, Sharon Kaasalainen, Kelley Kilpatrick, Nancy Carter, Patricia Harbman, Ivy Bourgeault and Alba DiCenso
10. Transfer of Accountability: Transforming Shift Handover to Enhance Patient Safety Healthcare Quarterly, 9(Sp) October 2006: 75-79.doi:10.12927/hcq.2006.18464. Human Factors and Work Redesign. Kim Alvarado, Ruth Lee, Emily Christoffersen, Nancy Fram, Sheryl Boblin, Nancy Poole, Janie Lucas and Shirley Forsyth
8. The Primary Healthcare Nurse Practitioner Role in Canada
Nursing Leadership, 23(Special Issue) December 2010: 88-113.doi:10.12927/cjnl.2013.22271. Faith Donald, Ruth Martin-Misener, Denise Bryant-Lukosius, Kelley Kilpatrick, Sharon Kaasalainen, Nancy Carter, Patricia Harbman, Ivy Bourgeault and Alba DiCenso
6. A Historical Overview of the Development of Advanced Practice Nursing Roles in Canada
Nursing Leadership, 23(Special Issue) December 2010: 35-60.doi:10.12927/cjnl.2010.22268. Sharon Kaasalainen, Ruth Martin-Misener, Kelley Kilpatrick, Patricia Harbman, Denise Bryant-Lukosius, Faith Donald, Nancy Carter and Alba DiCenso
3. The Role of Nursing Leadership in Integrating Clinical Nurse Specialists and Nurse Practitioners in Healthcare Delivery in Canada
Nursing Leadership, 23(Special Issue) December 2010: 167-185.doi:10.12927/cjnl.2010.22274. Nancy Carter, Ruth Martin-Misener, Kelley Kilpatrick, Sharon Kaasalainen, Faith Donald, Denise Bryant-Lukosius, Patricia Harbman, Ivy Bourgeault and Alba DiCenso