Who can participate in this option?
To be eligible to apply students must meet the following criteria:
- Enrolled in the Basic stream or the Post-RPN stream
- Note - Accelerated stream students will only be considered if they have completed all Level 3 required courses and have had a delay in their expected graduation date)
- Be in good academic standing (minimum cumulative GPA of 5.0 and not currently on program probation)
- Have all Level 3 required NURSING/HTHSCI completed by the end of the Winter term of Level 3
- Be able to complete their degree requirements by the end of the Fall term if accepted. This means in addition to having the mandatory Level 4 NURSING courses left to complete students must have either:
- HTHSCI 4NR3 + 0-3 units of electives left to complete
- 0-6 units of electives left to complete
There are a limited number of seats available in this option at each site. Students will be required to apply to participate.
The application includes the following 3 items:
- Student Application Form - submitted by the student
- Placement Preference form - submitted by the student
- Referee Form - submitted by the student's Level 3 Professional Practice Tutor
Application Submission Instructions:
The process to submit your application items is different at each site. Review the instructions for your site below to ensure that you know how to submit your application.
**Please note that dates relevant to the 2018-19 Application are under review and will be posted as soon as available**
Applications will be selected based primarily on cumulative GPA. Consideration will be given to those students who have had a delay in their expected graduation date due to unforeseen circumstances or who have been accepted to participate in the global health placement* for NURSING 4J07 in the Spring/Summer term.
*Note: Students who have been selected to participate in a global health placement for NURSING 4J07 during the Spring/Summer term must submit only the Student Application form. While these students will be guaranteed a seat in the Spring/Summer option courses they still must submit their Student Application form by the deadline.
Students will be notified during the week of (date TBA) if their application to the Spring/Summer option has been accepted. Enrollment instructions will be sent to students at this time.
NURSING 4J07 and NURSING 4P04
Enrollment in NURSING 4J07 and NURSING 4P04 will be restricted to only those students who have been accepted to the Spring/Summer option.
Students who have been assigned a placement outside of the standard catchment area for their site will be granted priority access to enroll in online sections of NURSING 4P04. Once these students have had an opportunity to enroll, enrollment in any remaining seats in the online sections of NURSING 4P04 will be opened to all students who have been accepted to the Spring/Summer option.
Students who have been accepted to the Spring/Summer option will be granted priority access to enroll in HTHSCI 4NR3. Once these students have had an opportunity to enroll, enrollment in any remaining seats in HTHSCI 4NR3 will be opened to BScN students who meet the prerequisites to take this course.
Professional practice placements for the Spring/Summer option
The nature of the NURSING 4J07 professional practice placements available to students during the Spring/Summer term are no different than those available during the Fall term.
Students who are participating in the Spring/Summer option can request an atypical placement for NURSING 4J07. Only students who have achieved a cumulative GPA of 8.0 or above at the end of the Fall term of Level 3 will be considered for an atypical placement during the Spring/Summer term.
* Please note that achieving an 8.0 cumulative GPA does not guarantee a student an atypical placement. Atypical placements are based on a number of factors in addition to cumulative GPA.