McMaster School of Nursing has been recognized as a Pan-American Health Organization/World Health Organization (PAHO/WHO) Collaborating Centre.
Focused in primary health care (PHC) nursing and health human resources, the Centre works collaboratively with faculty internally at McMaster across various disciplines, and with institutions in the Nursing and Midwifery Global Network.
McMaster is among the 42 PAHO/WHO Collaborating Centres targeted specifically in areas within nursing and midwifery. In 2015, the PAHO/WHO Collaborating Centre in PHC nursing and health human resources was re-designated.
Centre Director: Dr. Andrea Baumann
Associate VP, Global Health, Faculty of Health Sciences
Director, PAHO/WHO Collaborating Centre in Primary Health Care & Health Human Resources
Scientific Director, McMaster Site, Nursing Health Services Research Unit
Deputy Director: Dr. Ruta Valaitis
Professor emeritus, Dorothy Hall Chair in Primary Health Care
GOALS & ACTIVITIES
These are the terms of reference/goals with specific activities for the term of 2015-2019. Our aim is to collaborate with PAHO/WHO to:
Terms of Reference #1: Provide support and direction regarding Advanced Practice Nursing (APN) in the Americas as a strategy for advancing PAHO/WHO’s overarching goal of universal access to health and universal health coverage.
- Education and Research in the Americas on Advanced Practice Nursing
- Webinars: Advanced Practice Nursing
- Literature Review: Case Coordination Functions Conducted by Nurses in Primary Care Settings
*depicts nursing graduate students
1. Carter, N., Valaitis, R.K., *Lam, A., *Feather, J., *Nicholl, J., & Cleghorn, L. (2018). Navigation delivery models and roles of navigators in primary care: A scoping literature review. BMC Health Services Research, 18:96. doi: 10.1186/s12913-018-2889-0.
2. *Feather, J., Carter, N., Valaitis, R., Kirkpatrick, H. (2017). A narrative evaluation of a community-based nurse navigation role in an urban at-risk community. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 73(12):2997-3006. doi: 10.1111/jan.13355.
3. Valaitis, R.K., Carter, N., Lam, A., *Nicholl, J., *Feather, J., & Cleghorn, L. (2017). Implementation and maintenance of patient navigation programs linking primary care with community-based health and social services: A scoping literature review. BMC Health Services Research, 17(1):116. doi: 10.1186/s12913-017-2046-1.
4. Carter, N., Valaitis, R.K., *Feather, J., Cleghorn, L., & Lam, A. (2017). An environmental scan of health and social system navigation services in an urban Canadian community. Sage Open (Nursing), 3:1–12. doi: 10.1177/2377960816689566.
5. Bryant-Lukosius, D., Valaitis, R., Martin-Misener, R., Donald, F., Morán Peña, L., & *Brousseau, L. (2017). Advanced practice nursing: a strategy for achieving universal health coverage and universal access to health. Revista Latino-Americana de Enfermagem, 25:e2826. doi: 10.1590/1518-8345.1677.2826.
6. Oldenburger, D., Cassiani, S., Bryant-Lukosius, D., Valaitis, R., Baumann, A., Pulcini, J., & Martin-Misener, R. (2017) Implementation strategy for advanced practice nursing in primary health care in Latin America and the Caribbean. Revista Panamericana de Salud Pública/Pan American Journal of Public Health, 41:e40.
Terms of Reference #2: Provide guidance regarding Health Human Resources Planning, Assessment and Data collection that can inform education, research and practice in Barbados.
- Barbados: PAHO/WHO and Ministry of Health, Wellness and the Environment (Barbados)
Terms of Reference #3: Developing and disseminating knowledge related to health human resource workforce planning in the Americas.
- Inventory of Nursing Health Human Resources Databases in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Nursing Workforce Guideline in Americas
- Migration Across Borders: Policies and issues of Workforce Integration
Links & Resources
WHO Nursing and Midwifery Global Secretariat
Members of the Global Network
Nursing Health Services Research Unit (NHSRU)
Global Alliance for Nursing and Midwifery Communities of Practice (GANM)
Links to deliverables related to Terms of Reference #1:
- Literature Review: Case Coordination Functions Conducted by Nurses in Primary Care Settings: See Valaitis RK, Carter N, Lam A, Nicholl J, Feather J, Cleghorn L. Implementation and maintenance of patient navigation programs linking primary care with community-based health and social services: a scoping literature review. BMC Health Services Research. 2017 Feb 6;17(1):116. https://bmchealthservres.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12913-017-2046-1
- Advanced Practice Nursing: PAHO Activities and Strategy for Development in Latin America
Webinar Series 2016
Following the success of World Health Organization (WHO)/Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) Summit: Universal Access to Health and Universal Health Coverage: Advanced Practice Nursing co-hosted by McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, and PAHO in 2015, there is substantial interest in exploring the potential to develop Advanced Practice Nursing roles in Latin American countries to strengthen Primary Health Care and support universal access to health care. In an effort to meet this need, WHO/PAHO Collaborating Centres for Primary Care Nursing, Midwifery, and Health Human Resources offered a series of six webinars.
- All of the webinars can be accessed from the following site:
Individual webinars can be accessed through the links in the table below. Please note that each webinar is offered in English with Spanish translation.
NOTE: Since the primary audience speak Spanish, the PowerPoint slides displayed on the webinar screen are Spanish text; however, both English and Spanish are used in the audio presentations/discussions to engage all participants and listeners.
APN - Introductory Overview:
An introduction to this series will begin with a basic overview of advanced practice nursing roles with presentation by Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioners (NP) and Clinical Nurse Specialists (CNS) in Canada and the USA.
Moderator Ruta Valaitis RN PhD, Associate Professor, School of Nursing, Dorothy C. Hall Chair in Primary Health Care Nursing, Deputy Director, WHO Collaborating Centre for Primary Care and Health Human Resources, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario
Susan J. Corbridge, PhD, APN, FAANP, Director of Graduate Clinical Studies’, University of Illinois at Chicago College of Nursing, Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Medicine
Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, Allergy and Sleep Medicine, University of Illinois Health Sciences System
Charlie Yingling, DNP, Family Practice Nurse, University of Illinois at Chicago
Diana Sherifali, RN, PhD (McMaster University), Associate Professor, and Faculty, Canadian Centre for APN Research, McMaster University McMaster University, Clinical Nurse Specialist in the Diabetes Care and Research Program/Boris Clinic at Hamilton Health Sciences, Hamilton, Ontario
Jo Savelli, Nurse Practitioner, Hamilton Urban Core Community Health Centre, Hamilton, Ontario
Nursing Workforce Planning and Analysis- A Macro View
Andrea Baumann, RN, PhD, Associate Vice-President, Global Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, Director, WHO Collaborating Centre in Primary Care Nursing & Health Human Resources, Scientific Director, McMaster Site, NHSRU, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario
Introduction to the PEPPA Framework for APN Role Implementation
Denise Bryant-Lukosius, RN PhD, Associate Professor, School of Nursing & Dept of Oncology, Director, Canadian Centre for APN Research (CCAPNR), McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario
Conducting a Needs Assessment: An Essential Strategy for Defining and Implementing Effective APN Roles
Denise Bryant-Lukosius, RN PhD, Associate Professor, School of Nursing & Dept of Oncology,
Director, Canadian Centre for APN Research (CCAPNR), McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario
Strategies for Establishing the Regulation and Effective Implementation of APN Roles
Ruth Martin Misener, RN-NP PhD, Professor, School of Nursing, Dalhousie University, Co-Director, Canadian Centre for Advanced Practice Nursing Research, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner Education in the US and Canada
Joyce Pulcini, PhD, PNP-BC, FAAN, FAANP, Professor, Director of Community and Global Initiatives, George Washington University School of Nursing, Washington, DC
Faith Donald, RN, PhD Associate Professor, Ryerson University, Faculty: Canadian Centre for Advanced Practice Nursing Research, Toronto, Ontario