Assistant Professor, School of Nursing
BSc (University of Western Ontario), BEd (Brock University), MScN, Post-Master’s Tertiary Care Nurse Practitioner Certificate, and PhD in Educational Psychology (University of Western Ontario)
Dr. Pierazzo joined McMaster University in 1999 and is currently an Assistant Professor in the School and
Chair, Curriculum for the BScN program. She is immersed in both undergraduate and graduate teaching. In the last several years, Joanna has provided leadership in the scholarship of simulation-based learning for nursing education. She is actively involved in the BScN preceptorship program and many elements of the BScN Kaleidoscope curriculum. Joanna has continued to engage in clinical appointments as an advanced practice nurse in Regional Neurosurgery Programs.
Joanna’s research interests include principles of educational psychology within the context of nursing education, including motivational theory, learner engagement, affect (anxiety) and self-efficacy. Content areas of focus include simulation-based learning, professional practice, clinical reasoning, cognitive appraisal of affect, and assessment and feedback.
- Pierazzo, J., and Mujica, I. (2011). Utilizing Simulation as an educational tool for the PBL classroom. International Nursing Simulation Conference, Orlando, Florida.
- Turner, K., Pierazzo, J., and Rawlin, D. (2011). Immersive high-fidelity simulation: An innovative interprofessional approach to linking academia and practice. International Nursing Simulation Conference, Orlando, Florida.
- Pierazzo, J. (2010). Simulation technology in health science education: An interprofessional demonstration in human patient simulation., McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario
- Pierazzo, J. (2009). Simulation in nursing education: Is it possible? International Interprofessional Education Institute, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario.
- Pierazzo, J. (2009). High fidelity simulation in nursing: Considerations and lessons learned. Gladys Sharpe Lectureship, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario.
- Pierazzo, J. (2008). Facilitating clinical learning: An enriching experience for students. International internship program, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario.
- Pierazzo, J. (2007). Moving forward with a vision: An innovative partnership blending an academic and a practice career. The Canadian Association of Advanced Practice Nurses Conference, Banff, Alberta